Wednesday, January 13, 2010

what new leaf?



When I rant, I normally rant to friends, family, anyone who will listen...but I'm not sure I've ever posted a rant online. Well, I guess today is as good as any for some firsts.

In the year leading up to our last presidential election, I took time to really listen and think about what our country needed and WHO our country needed in order for us to turn over a new leaf. When I say new leaf, I mean better job security, peace of mind when it comes to healthcare (for all!), a great sense of "I'm proud to be an American!" from all citizens (including politicians), less focus on fast-food (yes, I'm guilty of loving the golden arches) and parents who give a damn about their kids and their schools... you get the idea. Our country desperately needs to turn over a new leaf if we want to continue to be a leader in this world.

I voted for Obama. His level of sincerity while giving speeches has brought me to tears. Along with many others in this country, I just knew Obama had the zeal, drive and sincerity it took to turn over our country's new leaf.  There have been some small strides....small. A few bills have been passed for healthcare, he still realize we are at war and the people in the state of Washington still believe in him. The people in Oregon, however, do not. Take a look at the newest poll done by KATU, one of Portland's leading news authorities. Even though I live in Washington, I agree with Oregon.

I am down. Down, down, down about where our country is right now. At least 85,000 people lost their job in December! From "reports" months ago, I was under the impression our economy was slowing moving up. Hardly that is fact if 85,000 are still losing jobs. The one thing I do know is that all the big-wigs we bailed out are on the up and up. So let us get this straight - jobless Americans are having their tax dollars used to bail out the big-wigs and in turn, the big-wigs are the FIRST to reap the benefits of the economic upturn. Where is our government? Where is their sense of responsibility for the citizens they "listen to, protect and work for." I am pissed. Really pissed.

I am scared. Really scared.

I do not know the solution for the continual, devastating hits our country is taking. I am trying to have faith in our president and government officials to turn this around for the citizens. But if this country doesn't turn over the new leaf we were promised, I am afraid we haven't even hit rock bottom.


End rant.

*photo credit to markettalk.newswires-americas.com

No comments: